My 2012 poker goals. I was gonna post it on the first week of January, but keep forgetting it. Its been half way through January now, I am finally making this post. I had the goals typed in the MS word file during the first few days of Jan, but because of the PokerStars table limit reduction incident, I was not in the mood to post it on those days. Anyways, here are the goals;
1. Move up to 100 NL by late April – Its been a little bit more than 2 weeks into the 50 NL, doing alright there, small winner. The first few days of this year did ran very well on 50 NL, but I wasn’t able to keep up the consistence. Had 2 days of downswing, which made me from a big winner to a small winner, both run bad and play bad. I got on tilt at some point and lost a big chunk of $$. The goal is beat 50 NL consistently, and then move up to 100 NL by late April. I have 4 months to accomplish this, at any point if I feel comfortable enough, I will move up before April.
2. Move up to 200 NL by the end of the year – This is the main goal for 2012. Moving back to 100 NL has always been on my mind, that is where I got crushed last year. I ended up withdrew all my money and moved to FTP to play 50 NL… then Black Friday came, I cashed out most of my money but keep playing there until the site got completely shut down. I still have nearly 3 K at FTP, hopefully we will get our money back this year… Anyways, this year is to beat 100 NL and reach 3.0 BB/100 for the latest 50K hands before moving up to 200 NL. 3.0 BB/100 for 100 NL is no easy task here, I need to work hard to achieve this goal. Of course, I need to be a winning 200 NL player once I move up there.
3. Watch at least 1 coaching video per week
4. Read at least 1 concept of the week per month at 2p2
5. Play at least 30 hours per month – Right now I am only playing poker as a part time job, so 30 hours per month sounds reasonable. Remember it is “at least”, so I might put in some extra hours on the weekend.
6. Read at least 3 poker books this year – I have bought couple of poker books from ProfessionalPoker.com last week, including Raiser’s Edge. I might play a few more online tournaments this year, but the main focus is still cash games. Raiser’s Edge is a advance tournament strategy book so I would not starting reading it until I have read Kill Phil and Kill Everyone. Also, I need more tournament experiences in order to understand the concepts in Raiser’s Edge. The must read book for 2012 is Elements of Poker by Tommy Angelo. I have the book in my computer for quite some time. One of the reasons I haven’t read it is because I like reading the paper books better, so whenever I am on the computer, I tend to play poker instead of reading some e-books. I will finish EoP this year, no doubt about it.
7. Read Ed Miller’s short stack, and TAG style strategy articles – Strategy articles from Ed Miller are always fun to read. For 2012, I will read some short stack strategy articles to get a better understanding on how they play the short stacks, and have more strategies to combat against them.
8. Watch all nanonoko’s coaching videos – I had around 8 of them, watched 6, 2 more to go. This can be done within this week.
9. Watch all Phil Galfond’s coaching videos – Phil Galfond’s BlueFire Poker NL hold’em coaching videos, I have 20+ of them. I will try to watch them all by late April as well.
10. Play at least 2 PokerStars Sunday Millions
11. Play WCOOP main event – The event takes place at Sept, a lot of time to prepare for it. The buy-in is very heavy though, I will play it if I feel ready for it. If at that point I am not comfortable for putting 5K for a tournament buy-in, then I will try to get in by satellites.
There. The above are my goals for 2012. Number 10 and 11 are optional for the to-do list, but I will play those tournaments if things run well this year. Wish me good luck on achieving my poker goals for 2012.